Skip to content Skip to footer

Krosno, ul. PiLsudskiego 16

From the History of Krosno and the District

The exhibition presents regional issues in a wide range and consists of two parts. The first of them describes the history of the town of Krosno, its beginnings and resilient development in the Middle Ages and the Renaissance time when it was named Parva Cracovia (the Little Cracow).

In the exhibition,

more than 350 exhibits are coming from the archaeological research carried out on the market square in Krosno. Among them, there are many priceless and often unique relics, products of local crafts as well as imports from Czechia and Germany. Some accents emphasize the large importance of trade in the development of the town. The crucial element is photocopies of royal documents related to Krosno, old views of the city and photographs of the unknown, but exposed during the archaeological research of the stonework: gothic tower (“Wójtowska”) and renaissance town hall and urban wooden infrastructure facilities (e.g. the sewers, waterworks and bases of the merchant stalls). In this part of the exposition it is possible to see the reconstructions of a normal size: a medieval stall, a wooden well changed into a public convenience imitatively, a wooden water pipe and a fragment of Wójtowska tower’s wall. The exhibition is also upgraded with magnificent specimens of Gothic art.

In the rooms of the first floor...

selected themes from the post-partition history and recent history are exhibited. The well-represented portrait painting implements an atmosphere of the Romanticism era. Several memorabilia on the iconography of Krosno, Iwonicz Zdrój and Rymanów Zdrój are cognitively valuable and Vedute painting confirms artists’ interests and tells about the charm of the region. Numerous examples of old photographs, postcards and objects of everyday use document the functioning of the environment in the times of Galician autonomy and the Second Polish Republic (institutions, organisations, education, crafts, cultural life, profiles). Noteworthy is the original Pleyel fortepiano from 1862, which is one of the few instruments of this Parisian manufactory in Poland possessing the original string instrumentation and complete efficiency on the concerts. 

In the next part of the exhibition, there is underlined that the residents of this region took part in fights for homeland freedom during the Napoleonic times, Springtide of Nations, January Uprising and years 1914-1921 (including the defence of Lviv and Polish-Bolshevik war). This content is documented by patriotic jewellery, commemorative objects, photographs, whiteware and firearms.

In the part of the exhibition connected with World War II...

against the background of a rich display of militaria, the September campaign, the independence conspiracy, the ZWZ-AK, martyrdom, and for the post-war period, the activity of the anti-communist underground are presented (WiN, People’s and National Conspiracy).

The enthusiasts of militaria find a collection of short and long firearms interesting in the hall devoted to Polish independence as well as World War Two. Apart from a rich collection of foreign-made weapons, examples of Polish technical thought were presented, with the ViS w.z 35 guns at the forefront.

In the last fragment of a presentation, there is a collection of photographs and printed matters from the last history of Krosno. There are stressed selected facts from the social-political and cultural life and accented the important events – the solidarity uprising (1980-1981), the beginning of third independence (1989-1990) and the stay of Pope John Paul II in the Krosno region (1997).

INSTITUTION OF CULTURE OF THE PODKARPACIE REGION

Logo województwa Podkarpackiego

Subcarpathian Museum in Krosno © 2022. All rights reserved.

Skip to content